Iacomo Ragazzoni
Ragazzoni Family originates from Valtorta (Bergamo). In 1457 Milan ceded Valtorta to Venice. During that period, the most advanced and distinguished members of the family emigrated. Some of them settled in Brescia, others went to Venice, to Mortara, to Milan or as far as to Canton Ticino. To differ the new descendants of the various stocks a second surname was given them. Since that moment we have: Ragazzoni Uberti, Alberti, Carlotti and Prevedoni. The Ragazzoni Alberti settled in Venice. In the year 1525 Benedetto Ragazzoni married Isabetta Izzo. The couple had a good number of children, among them Iacomo who was born in 1528. Iacomo was an extremely talented child and, though very young, his parents sent him to London at the Henry VIII Royal Court. The Court appreciated him so much that Maria Tudor awarded him the privilege of adding to the coat of arms of the Ragazzoni Alberti family the “Rose of Tudor”.

In London Iacomo was known under the name of James Ragoson (from the National Archives).

Se vuoi saperne di più clicca qui

Iacomo, from London back to Venice

Once in Venice, Iacomo devoted himself to his family business. He developed his activities mainly in two directions: commercial activity and public life.

In 1561 he married Piccabella and they gave birth to 16 children.

Se vuoi saperne di più clicca qui

Cyprus and the tragic events leading to the Battle of Lepanto
The Ottomans decided to quicken the conquest of Cyprus: after a first successful assault to the island without meeting any resistance, they proceeded to the capital city of Nicosia and then to Famagosta.  Battles had been extremely fierce.

Se vuoi saperne di più clicca qui

Iacomo in Constantinople and the possessions in Cyprus
Venetian Senate sent Iacomo to Constantinople to deal with the Turks a separate peace with the purpose of defending Venetian interests as well as the possessions in the island of Cyprus.

Se vuoi saperne di più clicca qui

Iacomo back to Venice

Back to Venice Iacomo reported important information about arms and supplies used by the Turkish army. At the end of his public duties he involved himself in the reinforcement of his fortunes, adding to his previous possessions in Veneto 750 fields in Sacile territory. Here he decided to build, beside other things, a splendid palace. Such place became Iacomo’s favourite residence and its illustrious guests called it “the House of Delights”.

Se vuoi saperne di più clicca qui

The Battle of Lepanto

The clash between the Ottomans and the Holy League took place at Lepanto on the 7th of October 1591.

Se vuoi saperne di più sulla battaglia di Lepanto clicca qui

Royal Visitors

In 1574 Iacomo Ragazzoni gave hospitality in Sacile to the King of France, Henry III of Valois from whom he received the Insignia of Honour. In 1581 Ragazzoni Family gave hospitality in their palace to the Empress Maria of Austria, daughter of Charles V.

Se vuoi saperne di più sull'evento clicca qui

Honorary Titles

Iacomo and Placido Ragazzoni received from the Doge Alvise Mocenigo the ring and the title of Count of San Odorico, Venice 1573. Placido Ragazzoni received from the King of France Henry III the Order of Knightwood, France 1583.

Se vuoi saperne di più sugli eventi clicca qui

Iacomo’s death and the fall of the family

After a number of painful losses, unlucky events and a distressing illness, the life of Iacomo came to an end on the 18th of January 1610.

His beloved nephew, Giacometto, succeeded him but a series of errors caused the murder of the young Earl during a gunfight.

Se vuoi saperne di più sull'evento clicca qui

Life of  Iacomo Ragazzoni, Count of San Odorico

The very long story of the lands of San Odorico started at the time when the Patriarchs of Aquileia became Lords of Friuli. On June 1237 the Patriarch Bertoldo signed an agreement with the owners of Sacile, Enrico e Corrado Pelizza: they would keep the ownership of the Feud, with lands and all properties, provided they would respect the sovereignty of the Patriarchate..

Pelizza the new feudatories in San Odorico from 1237 to 1508

Felice Pelizza died in the year 1508 without male heirs.  A case opened between Felice’s daughters, married to the Counts of Porcia, and the Serenissima which after the occupation of Friuli was exerting the administrative power over the conquered territories.  In 1533 the dispute could be settled with the payment of 4000 ducats in favour of the Venetian Republic.

The Counts of Porcia became the new feudatories of San Odorico from 1533 to 1575

Pompilio, the last heir of the family, at the end sold the Feud to Ragazzoni brothers for 6000 ducats.

Ragazzoni Family ruled the Feud under the title of “Count of San Odorico” from 1575 to 1627.

Giacometto, the young heir of Iacomo, incapable to administer the great fortunes made by his grandfather, wasted a lot of money. Wastes and a series of unworthy actions dragged him to his social and personal ruin.

He died chased by hired killers and consequently the Feud went back to Venice.

Sagredo Families and Tiepolo came into possession of the Feud  (1627-1638)

Alvise Flangini, the only survivor of his family, during the war between Venice and the Turks for Cyprus, had to escape from the island and go back to Venice with the consequence of loosing all his properties in Cyprus.

In Venice, with the help of a relative, a piece of good luck, caution and peacefulness, he succeeded in getting back not only his social position but also the Feud of San  Odorico.

Flangini Family lived in Sacile and run the Feud of San Odorico from 1638 to 1804.

The new ideas brought by the French revolution, but above all Napoleon Bonaparte who caused the end of the Venetian Republic and the consequent invasion of Friuli by the French armies, represent the main historic events that caused the complete devastation of the lands in San Odorico.  Later on, the Feud as well as the Venetian domain, passed under the Hapsburges. Many disputes would follow between Flangini and the Hapsburges for the possession of the Feud  but in the year 1806 a new law abrogated the old feudal system strongly supported by the Patriarchs of Aquileia.

With the new legislation the lands became partly private property and partly State property.
That was the end of the age-old Feud of San Odorico.

Per approfondimenti si consigliano i seguenti testi: Giorgio Zoccoletto , Il feudo di Sant'Odorico, D. Lino Garavina “Il Feudo di San Odorico - Sacile

Per approfondimenti vedi anche la bibliografia


It was nothing more than a massive family house. Tobia Ottoboni sold it to his brothers.


Ragazzoni family enriched the palace with new stables, barns, cellars and gardens. They enlarged the building by adding new wings with wide, elegantly furnished rooms. The Serenissima made use of this palace to give hospitality to important guests: kings, emperors, earls.  The best of aristocracy from all over Europe used to meet at Ragazzoni palace. In the year 1627 it was given back to the Venetian Republic.


Alvise Flangini bought the palace in 1638 and his family lived there till the year 1804 when the last Flangini heir died.


The heir of the last Flangini Countess deprived the palace of its pictures, valuable rugs and furniture: in a very short time everything was sold to the best buyer.

Saccomani and Friedenber

The Saccomani and the Friedenberg bought the palace. The last owners, apparently with a pull out technique, removed a fresco, probably the best preserved one, and they sold it to Otto Lingners. Now it can be seen at the Staatliche Kunstammlungen Museum in Dresden.


Lacchin Family, the last owner of the palace, generously gave it as a present to the Town Hall of Sacile in the year 1928.  Their generosity allowed our Administration to keep and to take good care of the precious work of art, which we consider the pride of our community.

Ragazzoni Palace: In hereditary owners

The Feud of San Odorico: In hereditary succession  the feudatories

Associazione Circolo della Cultura del Bello - Sacile - (Pordenone)

From the history to the frescoes

Lapide apposta nel 1934, nell’interno dell’edificio, a testimonianza della generosità della Sig. Lucia Lacchin Patrizio, sorella del Comm. Giuseppe Lacchin, ultimo proprietario del palazzo.

Traduzione in
lingua inglese a cura di Clara Menghini Dominco

Traduzione in lingua tedesca a cura della dott.sa Rossana Casadio